Some German words are very special. They are extremely descriptive, but the best thing of all is that it can’t be translated to English.
- Weltschmerz – When the world doesn’t quite live up to your expectations.
- Verschlimmbessern – Do you know when you try to improve something, but in fact only worsen it? This is the perfect word for that.
- Fingerspitzengefühl – This means to have a built in sense of empathy for others. On a more literal level it means ‘fingertip-feeling’.
- Kopfkino – This is literally a head cinema, but is used when you play out an entire scenario in your head.
- Freudentränen – Tears of joy.
- Gemütlichkeit – This is the word you will use to describe when everything is absolutely perfect in life. A type of warmth in your heart. It basically is “feeling cosy” on steroids!
- Fernweh – When you have a longing for a place have been to before. The feeling when you want to be somewhere else.
- Fremdschämen – This is the word one uses when you feel ashamed for someone when they do something embarrassing.
- Zweisamkeit – The opposite of loneliness. It describes the closeness between two people.
- Augenblick – The blink of an eye.
- Ohrwurm – Literally this is an ear worm, but actually it is the word one uses when a song is stuck in your head.
- Inner Schweinehund – This word is the description of that little voice in the back of your head that tells you to be lazy.
- Treppenwitz – These are the jokes or comebacks that occur to you only after the moment they were needed.
- Weichei – Literally this is a soft egg, but you will not order that for breakfast. It is the word used for weak or cowardly people.
These words gave me a stomach ache for making me laugh too much. I hope that these words will give you the same amount of pleasure.
Why not tell me of other words that you find funny?