Some German words are very special. They are extremely descriptive, but the best thing of all is that it can’t be translated to English.
- Weltschmerz – When the world doesn’t quite live up to your expectations.
- Verschlimmbessern – Do you know when you try to improve something, but in fact only worsen it? This is the perfect word for that.
- Fingerspitzengefühl – This means to have a built in sense of empathy for others. On a more literal level it means ‘fingertip-feeling’.
- Kopfkino – This is literally a head cinema, but is used when you play out an entire scenario in your head.
- Freudentränen – Tears of joy.
- Gemütlichkeit – This is the word you will use to describe when everything is absolutely perfect in life. A type of warmth in your heart. It basically is “feeling cosy” on steroids!
- Fernweh – When you have a longing for a place have been to before. The feeling when you want to be somewhere else.
- Fremdschämen – This is the word one uses when you feel ashamed for someone when they do something embarrassing.
- Zweisamkeit – The opposite of loneliness. It describes the closeness between two people.
- Augenblick – The blink of an eye.
- Ohrwurm – Literally this is an ear worm, but actually it is the word one uses when a song is stuck in your head.
- Inner Schweinehund – This word is the description of that little voice in the back of your head that tells you to be lazy.
- Treppenwitz – These are the jokes or comebacks that occur to you only after the moment they were needed.
- Weichei – Literally this is a soft egg, but you will not order that for breakfast. It is the word used for weak or cowardly people.
These words gave me a stomach ache for making me laugh too much. I hope that these words will give you the same amount of pleasure.
Why not tell me of other words that you find funny?
P.S. If you liked this post and would like to be notified when I post new content, feel free to join my mailing list. You can also save it to Pinterest to read it again later by clicking on the button below: