Love is one of the dearest things we have. This is why we have to be able to say ‘I love you’ in German if we want to speak German. So, drumroll, please?
Germans, especially the older ones, regard the word ‘lieben’ sacred. It will only be used in special cases since it is a very powerful word. Therefore they use if far less than we will use it in English. I think that is something to consider when you are learning German. (Remember when learning a new language one has to know something about the people as well.) This and because it is cliché is why we can try to say – ‘Ich liebe dich’ (I love you) – creatively.
Here is saying ‘I love you’ in German, creatively
- Ich will nicht mal darüber nachdenken, wie das Leben ohne dich wäre. – I don’t even want to think about what life would be like without you.
- Ich kann nicht glauben, wie perfekt wir für einander gemacht sind. – I can’t believe how perfectly we were made for each other.
- Du lässt meine Seele singen, wenn du in einen Raum gehst. – You make my soul sing when you walk into a room.
- Ich schätze dich über alles anderes in meinem Leben. – I cherish you above anything else in my life.
- Du bist mein Schatz – das kostbarste Ding in meinem Leben. – You are my treasure – the most precious thing in my life.
The above quote means: ‘It is better to have love and lost than to never have loved.’. So, go out and love on.